Eruptive activity ceases in Iceland after volcano erupts for third time in 2 months

 Thursday's eruption forced the closure and evacuation of the popular tourist destination Blue Lagoon. It also prompted authorities to declare a state of emergency.

There were no signs of further activity the day after the volcano erupted for the third time since December near the coastal town of Grindavik in southwestern Iceland, according to officials.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office (IMO) said on Friday that a drone flight over the eruption site at noon local time detected no eruptive activity and that seismic sensors had not detected an aftershock.

"This shows that the eruption is coming to an end," the IMO said.

However, threats due to sinkholes and fault movement in Grindavik are still considered high.

According to the IMO, it happened after intense seismic activity began in the area around Mount Sillingarfell around 5:30 a.m. Thursday and the eruption began about 30 minutes later.

Thursday's eruption forced the closure and evacuation of the popular tourist destination Blue Lagoon. It also prompted authorities to declare a state of emergency.

What happens before a volcano erupts?

According to the IMO, a large fissure approximately 2 miles long opened and extended from Mount Sillingarfell to the eastern areas of Mount Stora-Skogfell, with lava spewing approximately 260 feet into the air.

The eruption was located north-east of Grindavik, which was a town after residents were told to flee their homes late last year when earthquake activity began to increase dramatically, and after large cracks opened up on roads in the area. It was a ghost town.

The first eruption occurred on 18 December, and the second eruption occurred a month later in January. During the second eruption, lava entered Grindavik and destroyed many houses and structures.

Iceland resident describes frequent earthquakes, moments of panic and evacuation

State of emergency declared due to latest explosion

Iceland's Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management said the state of emergency was declared on Thursday after consultation with emergency officials in the area.

Officials said the main pipeline delivering hot water to the area was destroyed after the lava flowed, causing a shortage of hot water.

Residents were urged to conserve water and electricity as much as possible.

Electric ovens can be used to provide heat, but officials said each household can only use one because the area's electrical grid cannot cope with much use.

Can the eruption of one volcano cause the eruption of another volcano?

"If everyone starts the oven at the same time, the system could fail," officials said in a news release. “It is therefore important that residents follow the instructions and only use an electric stove for heating.”

The country's main international airport, Keflavik International Airport, was without hot water, according to national public broadcaster RUV.

Airport officials said the explosion has not affected any arriving or departing flights so far, but passengers traveling in or out of the airport should contact their airlines in case they decide to delay or cancel flights. Should be monitored.

The popular tourist destination the Blue Lagoon announced it had been evacuated and closed operations as a precaution due to the eruption.

In a statement posted on its website, Blue Lagoon said all guests who booked during the closure will be contacted, and the resort will continue to monitor guidelines and recommendations from emergency officials.

“This commitment is in line with our unwavering dedication to ensuring the safety and well-being of our valued guests and employees,” Blue Lagoon said.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.